Bringing a new dog home is a wonderful time in a pet parent’s life, but it also comes with many questions and responsibilities, especially for first time pet parents.
Pet parents who brought a new pup home back at the peak of the pandemic had plenty of one-on-one bonding time, thanks to quarantine, but not nearly enough opportunities to socialize their pets. Thankfully, we’re now able to resume many pre-pandemic activities as well as return to the workplace. This means doggie daycare services are in astronomical demand. Here at Wiggles Pet Resort, we feel it’s important to visit and establish a pet care facility that’s right for your dog, so you have a trusted place to bring them for daycare and other services. Doggie daycare is an important step for your dog to build independence, new friendships, exercise and play rather than be alone all day. Is your dog ready? If you’re bringing a dog home, doggie daycare should be a part of your pet’s normal routine. Here are a few hallmarks to keep in mind for determining when your pup can enroll.
- Physical maturity: Most doggie daycare programs require their guests to be at least 3-4 months old before coming on board. Your pup will also need to be spayed or neutered to participate in group play.
- Vaccination status: Vaccinations are a key in wellness at a quality doggie daycare. Your dog should have their adult vaccinations before enrolling in a program. Rabies is the big one, but you will also need to check on the following:
- DHLPP (Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parvovirus, Parainfluenza)
- Canine Influenza Vaccine is also highly recommended
- Comfort level: One of the first and, perhaps, most important, duties of a dog owner is introducing your dog to a larger world. The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) recommends beginning to socialize your pup when they are between 3 and 14 weeks old. The earlier you start, the better off for your dog but older dogs can find the same benefits too.
A quality daycare program that specializes in safe introductions a great way to introduce your dog to both new people and other animals with the safety and knowledge of highly trained staff.
Proper socialization helps build your dog’s confidence while reducing the risk of separation anxiety and fearful or aggressive behaviors.
If you have additional questions about whether or not it’s time to take your new dog to daycare – particularly an older dog – no worries. Daycare evaluations at a luxury pet resort are a phenomenal way to determine if your dog is ready and which services are the best fit for your pooch. Wiggles Pet Resort, for instance, offers an initial “welcome day,” where your dog can enjoy a day of play to see what option is the best fit for their particular energy level and personality.
There are so many decisions to make when bringing a dog home. Luckily, partnering with a quality pet resort early can offer guidance and peace of mind. Wiggles Pet Resort has redefined dog daycare! Our state-of-the-art facility offers acres of play space, professional supervision, and multiple play options to fit your dog’s unique needs.
New guests receive a free first day of play. Contact us today to learn more.